Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bull run?! Klose enough.

Ok, even though my friends Kevin and Daniel are doing a pretty good job (on top of their day job!) of covering the World Cup, I gotta write something about it too eh.

I stopped by at the neighbourhood S11 after my flight to buy a late dinner, and what do I see on the screen? Spain 2 Ukraine 0, in the first 20min. Either Spain is getting into gear early, or Ukraine really is a one man team. I strolled back home thinking that the match was all wrapped up. The Spanish had other ideas though. 2 more goals came their way, one from the very exciting Fernando Torres, sealed up the Ukrainians' day out on the pitch. Can you hear Arsenal banging on his door now??

Skipped the Tunsia and Saudi Arabia match, ended 2-2. I'd decided to take a nap before waking up for the Germany v Poland match. The Germans were going all out into this match, wanting to book their place into the last 16 quick, fast and in a hurry. Klose came...well, close on a number of occasions. Ballack's skill as an attacking midfielder was not needed as Germany had enough strikers to give Poland a horrid time. The Polish had other ideas though, and from the 2nd half it looked like they were playing a 6-4-0 (5-4-0 after the red card) formation!! That and some splendid time wasting from their goalkeeper meant it was down to the wire.

At this point I was willing ANYONE to score, if only to justify my climbing outta bed in the dead of the night. On the 90th min, the Germans did it. Oliver Neuville, who's been drifting offside since he came on as a substitute, finally got onside and slid in the only goal of the night.

Heng ah, else tomorrow have to tell people I stayed up till 5am to watch 20 men kick a ball around for nothing...

2 comments:

SgGooner said...

sounded very one-sided. i think the polish can book their flight home liao.

GunnerXIII said...

Wah! If I watch I will definitelly miss the goal! 'Cos I'll be in dreamland by 30 mins! Disappointing Poland.....