Thursday, November 16, 2006

I'll huff, and I'll puff and I'll....

Of most reality shows, I count The Amazing Race (TAR) as my favourite. The drama, the characters (reel or real), the strategy, and the twists & turns captured me so that I once followed one season throughout, catching up on repeats if I missed an episode.

When The Amazing Race Asia (TARA) came along though, I was skeptical. First I found that some contestants were expats living in an Asian country. I know that this is a globalized world we live in now, but I’m sure they can find 11 pairs of true-blue homegrown Asians to compete! The producers did mention that they wanted competitors to be able to converse in English. Puuleeese, if you can understand the Indian models’ thick accent, you can understand anyone’s master of English. Besides, they have subtitles right?

2 episodes and I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a poor cousin of TAR; like miniature golf is never really golf? The tasks, detours, roadblocks and fast forwards are trivial and lame. Draw a batik design? Push a noodle cart for 500m, while singing? Bowl dancing? Abseiling down 8 floors of a mall?

Come on, there are plenty of exciting things to do in Asia! Try looking for the clue box in some ancient Malaysian caves; buffalo racing in Indonesia; dragon boat racing in Hong Kong; ok so you can abseil down some mall in Singapore.

The way some of the contestants were huffing and puffing through the race (or were they acting, after all some are wannabe actors), they won’t stand a chance doing the actual TAR.

This is one reality show I’d not regret missing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear! I do not really like the Asian version too (though I have thought of joining). I find that the producers really tried to choose "good-looking" contestants. They even chose a Ch5 celebrity, Melody Chan for team Singapore????

Puhlezzz... I bet they are definitely not short of entries?

Besides the lame challenges (ok, I give them some credit as this is the first ever Asian version), even the host, Allen Woo, is a tad too boring.

The editing of the show is also quite bad really.

Before anyone shoot at me, I am an avid fan of TAR until Season 10 that is currently showing. So I know what I am talking about. :)