Monday, August 13, 2007

Mempersembahkan ( Coming soon)


It was a good Sunday out at Changi Village. We went for a stroll before heading to Charlie's Corner for dinner. When we got there, however, the sign says it reopens at 6pm. It was 515pm then.

It just struck me that some people in Changi Village practise the siesta, ie take a break after lunch to rest up before dinner. Cool.

The conversation inevitably turns to the much anticipated arrival of my pals' child; a boy if all indications are correct. The name has been chosen too. A very cool one at that. I jested that it would sound great for when Junior joins the X-Games, if Daddy Dearest will groom him to be such an athlete. I mentioned that Singaporeans excel at individual sports; bowling, sailing, swimming...

I asked then how about the Mandarin name? He's still wondering about that. It has to contain the word courage or yong(3) though, as it's in his family line. One of his ancestors was an emperor, according to his uncle. He's leaving it to the experts to come up with a few names, that has the right number of strokes to ensure his first kick into the real world will be a good one.

It gives one a warm fuzzy feeling when you see a good friend taking baby steps toward parenthood.

Me? I've been quoted in HerWorld magazine as someone who's old skool when it comes to bringing up a child. The cane and a strong hand will be staple, if ah boy/ah girl gets outta line. None of that "talk to your child, be his friend" crap.

4 comments:

(T) (H) (B) said...

Dropping by!

:: little b :: said...

Counting strokes in preperation for the stoke? My in-law did it behind my back, and I hated it! A child brought up on supersition? What happens if the soothsayer deems no name suitable? *ponders* Just wondering...

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by, both of you :)

Anonymous said...

I don't read HerWorld. Can post your interview on your blog, please?